Customer Support & Operations Lead
The chance to join a fast growth, fully remote tech startup scaling up with proven product market fit:
- The freedom and flexibility of a 100% remote company—we’ve been doing it since before it was cool OR necessary! (Please note this job will require US Eastern Time -ish work hours)
- The excitement and opportunity of joining a fast growth, funded startup that has achieved breakthrough, proven product market fit.
- Exposure to work side by side (and learn from) with senior team members executing in a fast paced environment.
- Annual compensation in the $45k-60k range with fast track potential for growth.
- Opportunity for rapid advancement: As a fast moving startup we are seeking a candidate to perform several functions fractionally, with opportunity to own a growing department as we scale.
We’re hiring a Customer Support & Operations Lead
Commit Action is a growing software AND human-services startup. We work with entrepreneurs around the world to help them become the highest leverage, most productive versions of themselves possible.
Small business owners face increasing isolation and distraction. This causes them to struggle to stay task-focused on important growth opportunities. Commit Action solves this.
Our service is a hybrid of productivity software and human-powered accountability coaching. It’s delivered by our highly trained “Accountability Coaches” who act as personal trainers for productivity and concierge for our client’s to-do lists.
Our proprietary web app manages and streamlines the coach’s relationship with our clients. We work with our clients to set powerful goals, track and measure their performance and push them to execute their dreams. We’re constantly testing and deploying exciting new tech in the growing space of human-powered, software-enhanced services!
Help us scale our business by being the human connective tissue between our coaches and our customers, and our coaches and our operations team. As a fast growth startup, roles in our operations team are multi-faceted, fast paced and can feel like a few different part time roles rolled into one. This role suits those who love variety, moving fast and structure!
Have a hand in every aspect of the business as you support company executives and new initiatives as a project manager. Did we mention that we’re a fast growing startup (it’s kinda on our mind!) …. and this role offers tremendous opportunity to grow with us!
- Customer support: Handling inbound queries promptly and efficiently
- Inbound sales: Respond to queries from perspective customers via web direct message channels to secure sales
- Account management: Streamline and manager our custom client projects with specialized teams within the business
- Project Management: Providing organization and bottom-up accountability via Kanban-style project management to the Operations, Marketing and Engineering team.
- Special projects – support our founder in the dizzying arrange of weird and wonderful new projects that we develop and execute as an early stage, fast growth startup.
KPIs for this role included: increased sales via inbound channels, customer retention/reactivation, managing revenue goals of specialized client contracts.
Specifically, the role includes:
- Speaking with Commit Action Inc’s clients each week over the phone
- Collaborating with clients to optimize their task lists and project plans
- Building strong connection and relationship rapport with a range of diverse people
- Having detailed conversations with business owners about the tactical specifics of their plans
- Sticking closely to a rigorous (but self-determined) schedule
- Utilizing our proprietary (user-friendly) task management software platform
- Following up with and maintaining relationships with clients via email and company SMS
- Working remotely and independently as a reliable self-starter
Most of all:
- Thinking on your feet, being flexible, leveraging your high IQ and EQ
Currently, we are only hiring coaches who are located in the continental United States or Canada. We require our team to create their own schedule in a fixed timezone that they can stick to long-term. (Nomads need not apply, sorry!)
The Accountability Coach position is entry-level – no experience is required and we provide all training.
Join an awesome team…
Commit Action was founded by Peter Shallard – a renowned business psychology expert. The company is made up of client-facing “coach” team members, and customer support and technical (software engineering, marketing, etc) who all work remotely. Our executive HQ and founder are located in New York City and we offer our team of Accountability Coaches extraordinary flexibility, freedom to set their own schedule and to work from home
We are dedicated to our mission: Helping entrepreneurs be the highest leverage version of themselves possible.
To that end, we provide a comprehensive on-the-job training program for our Accountability Coach team, including training in our specific coaching methodology and in the business vocabulary and conceptual frameworks required to work with our entrepreneur client demographic.
We are a small but fast-growing startup that believes in the importance of a “Work Hard and Go Home” culture.
We encourage our team to find a healthy balance and develop hobbies outside of work itself. We do work hard, but we’re diligent about always going home at the end of the day. No one sleeps “under their desk” at Commit Action, not even metaphorically!
Here’s what we need:
1. Undergraduate level education OR a very convincing explanation for why you don’t have any (we love smart renegades!)
2. Experience in one or more of the listed areas (a reminder: Operations, support, customer service/support/experience/success/buzzword-of-your-choice!)
… this is not an entry level position. We want someone who has done one of these things before (at least) and who believes they can pick up any other facets of our role and ace them by thinking for yourself and figuring it out.
3. Exceptionally high degree of technical proficiency: The founding team of the company are digital natives (none are software engineers/programmers) who are fluent and fast with software and technology in general. The ideal candidate should be a digital native who can keep up, with intuitive problem solving skills, and who innately understands:
- How to deeply and effectively utilize google to troubleshoot issues (e.g. REALLY extract useful information)
- How to be a power user in the common stack of digital software (google apps, setting up connections between simple cloud solutions like payment platforms, scheduling software etc etc)
- Coding experienced absolutely not required or expected… but if you’ve gotten to the point in your career where the only way to get MORE technical expertise would be to learn to code, you are in precisely the sweet spot we are looking for.
4. Expert written/spoken communication skills, delivered with confidence
- This will be a client facing role where a significant % of your time (but not all) will include communicating with customers directly.
- You will also be helping our CEO manage his inbox and responding to external queries on his behalf. An ability to communicate with nuance and flexibility, based on your ability to notice context queues (i.e. who is emailing, what tone is appropriate to respond etc)
- Be able to swiftly and authoritatively represent the company and it’s officers in either private email interactions or as an agent of the business in (for example) an online chat with a potential customer.
- Thriving in this type of work would open doors for you to design/create a more senior operations role.
4. Project management expertise with conscientious time management and detail orientation
- Be a project manager on an ultra fast moving team. That tends to just do stuff vs make detailed plans. We need organization!
- You will be managing our CEO’s calendar and email communication, working to proactively insure the various demands of the business are balanced with proactive strategic project work. Potentially be promoted to a chief-of-staff (to the CEO) role as a result.
5. Customer “experience” (or customer service/success/whatever-buzzword) experience
- Your experience in customer support will help us evolve our systems and processes to match our growth rate. Transform the organization from an adhoc reactive and all email based approach to customer support to something world class. Potentially create and be promoted to a Head of Customer Experience role as a result.
6. The “soft” skills that are most important of all:
- Extreme diligence and industriousness: Are you in the top 1% of your social circle for organizational effectiveness? Do you love to grind in the short term for long term payoff and results? Only the highly organized and effective should apply.
- Gel with and embrace our “Work hard, go home” culture: This is not a 80 hour week job. We don’t sleep under our desks. At Commit Action we work hard, then we go home. If you expect to spend hours of your day scrolling social media doing “research”, look elsewhere. When we’re at work, we work. When we’re home, we don’t.
- Outgoing, extroverted and enthusiastic: This role will be social in the sense that you’ll be in communication all day, every day. You will become the connective tissue in our company, helping to connect and coordinate our talented operators as they execute on our most important projects. When you’re not doing that, you’ll be talking to customers. If communication and connection fuels you, this will be a fit.
- Possess a steady, unflappable nature: Our business is intensely customer facing, and while we mostly love our customers the scale of what we do means we occasionally meet people when they are not the best version of themselves. You need to be emotionally steadfast, even-keeled and resilient… if you can let the crazy wash over you (very occasional – we promise) like ocean waves over a lighthouse, you’ll be great at this.
- Proactive, innovative and intelligent: Read between the lines of this ad and realize that many of the tasks could be accomplished by outsourced “virtual assistant” type labor. Then read deeper and realize we are looking for the person who can come in, do that work, and in doing so design the systems and company “architecture” we need to become truly world-class as we scale all these functions. You’ll have close proximity to our founder and CEO and have a front row seat as we grow the business. We are looking to hire someone who isn’t looking for a to-do list, but who has the grit, intelligence and creativity to strategically build the business—smarter stronger faster—with us.
To apply, email your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org